[Samba] permissions, and maybe a violation of the least surprise principle

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Nov 8 22:50:28 UTC 2021

I'll add my view on it.

Windows can only hold 1 primary group for a user, which is by "Domain Users".
So,yes, every file holds the "domain users" by default. Lets say GID 10000 is assigned.

By example.
We have 2 users, bugger and bogger.
Bugger is member of "domain users" (GID 10000) and SomeUseless group. (GID 10001)
Bogger is member of "domain users" (GID 10000) and Staff group. (GID 10002)

>From a windows machine, default rights are set as you see in you output.
Which is all correct as far is see.

Now, let remove the windows thoughts and just use POSIX.
You change the default group in windows for both users to its group with GID.

Bogger places a file in the SomeUseless group, so bugger can open it.
But the file owner now is bogger:staff, bugger isnt a member,
so to bad he cant open/change it, even if its in the right folder.

This is why, i use in a  "linux with mixed windows" rights setup the windows defaults

So, all "file rights" are "domain users" as group and every member kan open/change it.
The fixes the above rights problem.

On the "folder part".
The acl is obeyed from windows and linux users cant enter it.
You use a group as security group to allow access only.

Only one important part, or you need to change rights later on.
Set the UID/GIDS first thing in the objectes, before you create folders, or the GID doesnt show/is set.
Still need to look better into that, only so little time currently.

Use from windows to posix are key "Creator Owner" and "Creator Group" (mainly creator group)

Windows		: Posix
( Creator owner ) : 1770 (through sticky bit) ( normaly chmod 4770)
( creator group ) : chmod 2770
( creator owner and group ) : chmod 3770

https://chmodcommand.com/ has a nice explantion on the i at sticky bit and SetGid.

And you can use getacl and setacl to copy right from windows to linux if you like command prompt.

I hope this helped a bit.

Greetz,

Louis