[Samba] "Incorrectly formatted request" from NT4, "Network responded incorrectly" from SAMBA 'net', trying to join NT4 domain on 4.13, 4.15

Dylan J. Morrison dizzy at domad.science
Mon Nov 8 14:10:37 UTC 2021

Re "is winbind running" bit of a catch-22 there. winbind gives me this error:

  Could not find our SID. Did we join?

And then quits. Which means I can't actually have it running while attempting to join.

That said, changing to NT1 and adding the idmap bits did at least change the error I'm receiving. Now it's this:

  Failed to join domain: failed to lookup DC info for domain 'OLDSEP' over rpc: [Access Denied] A process has requested access to an object but has not been granted those access rights.

And in the event log on the PDC:

  The session startup for the computer FILESRV failed because these is no trust account in the security database for this computer. The name of the account referenced in the security database is FILESRV$.

So it's still failing to do something right, because JOIN should be *creating* the trust account. Thanks for the help though, we're on the right track.
Worst comes to worst and I can't figure out how to get them to talk to each other I supposed I can compile 4.7 since that's before these changes you mentioned.
Apologies for the lack of proper quoting, I'm using digest mode and I don't know how to do quote blocks on Thunderbird. Can you tell I don't use mailing lists much?

Dylan M