[Samba] "Incorrectly formatted request" from NT4, "Network responded incorrectly" from SAMBA 'net', trying to join NT4 domain on 4.13, 4.15

Dylan J. Morrison dizzy at domad.science
Mon Nov 8 01:46:51 UTC 2021

Hi,

For background, I'm trying to set up a NT4 domain and fileserver for
sharing files to various retro computers I have lying around. I've set
up the NT4 PDC, which is running a genuine copy of NT4 SP6a on a virtual
machine. My retro machines can successfully talk to this PDC and
read/write files from it, but Samba seems to be having issues.

I've tried both Samba 4.13, which is packaged for Debian Bookworm which
I'm running on my fileserver VM, and 4.15, which I compiled myself. Both
produce an error on

    net rpc join -U Administrator%password -S DIZZY

of

   Failed to join domain: failed to lookup DC info for domain 'OLDSEP'
over rpc: The network responded incorrectly.

I decided to check Event Viewer on the NT4 VM to try to see what the
issue is. I received the following response:

   The server received an improperly formatted request from (?)

I followed this as a configuration guide for a NT4 member server, as it
was the only relevant guide I could find on a quick google:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/12/html/Deployment_Guide/s3-samba-domain-member-nt4.html

My smb.conf is as follows:

[global]
workgroup = OLDSEP