[Samba] Unable to delete dangling symbolic link with "map readonly=permissions"

Adam Thorn alt36 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Nov 7 15:52:40 UTC 2021

I don't believe the problem is with my smb.conf; I am able to reproduce
the same problem with a lightly-modified copy of

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server#Creating_a_Basic_guest_only_smb.conf_File

[global]
         map to guest = Bad User
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m
         log level = 1
         server role = standalone server
         server min protocol = NT1

[guest]
         path = /data
         read only = no
         guest ok = yes
         guest only = yes
         store dos attributes = no
         map readonly = permissions

However, there's no problem if I use the above config on a manual build
of samba from the current "samba-latest.tar.gz" (4.15.1).

So, I guess this got fixed somewhere between Ubuntu's 4.11.6 build and
4.15.1. I might try some git bisecting if I have time, though I presume
the result would be of more interest to the Ubuntu samba maintainers
than this list unless anyone tells me otherwise.

Adam