[Samba] tuning permissions

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Fri Nov 5 18:57:01 UTC 2021

Here is a share:

root at data2:/data# ls -ld share
drwxrws--- 3 root ea-staff 4096 Nov  5 13:39 share

Permissions are set to 2770.  Based on my reading of the Wiki, group
sticky bits are supposed to be honored, but when I have a test user save
a file to this folder from a W10 client, it just ends up being owned by
the default group:

root at data2:/data/share# ls -l D*
-rwxrwx---+ 1 dhales domain users 233 Nov  5 13:39 Davids-document.rtf

root at data2:/data/share# getfacl Davids-document.rtf
# file: Davids-document.rtf
# owner: dhales
# group: domain\040users
user::rwx
user:domain\040users:rwx
group::rwx
group:domain\040users:rwx
group:dhales:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---

Presumably there is a way to force the group on a file/folder creation
without resorting to POSIX ACLs, or do I need to set a default ACL to
make this work?

Second question: This might not be possible, but ideally when user B
edits and saves a file owned by user A, I want the ownership of the file
to change to A so that we can determine who last touched a file when an
edit goes wrong.