[Samba] Using samba-tool to join a linux file server to the domain doesn't appear to work

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Nov 5 09:21:28 UTC 2021

As said, make sure your servers have a A and PTR record.
PC's, only A record is suffient, but if you need it, you can add the PTR by GPO.

> >> The caveat to this is the AD domain at my university is an
> >> unbelievable mess that they've tinkered with for over a decade.
> >
> > You just described all places of learning, they all appear to be a
> > mess, probably because all teachers think they know everything and
> > usually know nothing.
> >
> >>   Imagine a book
> >> written by 100 monkeys, each with their own typewriter with pages
> >> assembled by an inebriated octopus, and you won't be too far off.
> >
> > Sounds about right.

> > Windows will work without a reverse zone, so it isn't created by
> > default, but as they have found out, everything else that
> > Windows works with will not.

Small correction here, windows "does" attempt to register PTR records (by default).

And yes, Windows will work without reverse zone, but from a windows point of view,
a reverse zone is offent created after/at the DHCP is setup.

The main reason its not created by default, no computer can determin the subnet.
I can have my pc's in (*example) 192.168.1.0/16 while the servers use 192.168.0.0/24

But by default, DNS clients configured to perform dynamic DNS
registration will attempt to register PTR resource record
only if they successfully registered the corresponding A resource record.

Its in de default Windows template.
https://admx.help/?Category=Windows_10_2016&Policy=Microsoft.Policies.DNSClient::DNS_RegisterReverseLookup

Simple way to verify if windows got all info correct.
Run : CMD
Type: ipconfig , look at these values, these must match with the primary dns domain of the AD-DC.

 Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : your.primarydns.domain.tld	<<< its all about this one.
 DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : your.primarydns.domain.tld *
 Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : your.primarydns.domain.tld *

That makes sure the A record gets in the right zone.

(* these can be different, but i suggest start here, complex enough already. )

Greetz,

Louis