[Samba] Samba4 + FreeIPA

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Thu Nov 4 23:15:35 UTC 2021

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021, 3:37 PM David Mulder via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>
wrote:

> On 11/3/21 7:45 AM, Cyrus via samba wrote:
> > Thanks a lot. For this environment we have a 20/80 distribution, being
> 80%
> > Linux servers, workstations & kiosks.
> >
> > Windows is indeed limited to some limited administrative user group
> (higher
> > management & accounting department).
> >
> > I'm find with the dual realm, with all the users on one side & trust
> > between both parties.
> >
> > Probably it makes sense to go dual setup in this case. Sudoers & HBAC
> feel
> > more convenient with FreeIPAs WGUI/CLI.
>
> Samba sudoers and hbac are deployed via either `samba-tool gpo` command
> or Windows RSAT. It's no less convenient than the FreeIPA tools.

There is a reason I mentioned that this depends on the relationship between
how many Linux (in reality 'unixy' OSs) vs Windows you have. If you are
mainly a Linux shop with a few Windows, the need to use a Windows client
for some management functions is definitely an inconvenience. Nothing more
convenient that a browser GUI.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that reason for the lack of open GUIs to
manage Samba AD is a community issue, mainly contributions. Ah! And having
to reverse engineer MS protocols and file formats.