[Samba] Using samba-tool to join a linux file server to the domain doesn't appear to work

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Nov 4 16:09:16 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-11-04 at 11:00 -0500, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:

> On 11/4/21 10:49, cn--- via samba wrote:
> > Am 04.11.21 um 16:43 schrieb Patrick Goetz via samba:
> > > While you're looking at this, would it be possible to add code to
> > > add
> > > a PTR record as well as the A record?  This would match the
> > > behavior
> > > for Windows AD controllers.
> >
> > The default on Windows does not create the PTR. Usually you have to
> > set
> > up a GPO that the clients update their PTR.
> >

> I have no idea, but I checked with one of my colleagues who is a
> Windows
> guru/domain admin, and he insisted that both an A and PTR record are
> created for the domain member when you join the (Windows server)
> domain.

He has probably inherited a domain that has a GPO set to do this (or
something similar), Windows does not, out of the box, create reverse
records.

> The caveat to this is the AD domain at my university is an
> unbelievable
> mess that they've tinkered with for over a decade.

You just described all places of learning, they all appear to be a
mess, probably because all teachers think they know everything and
usually know nothing.

>  Imagine a book
> written by 100 monkeys, each with their own typewriter with pages
> assembled by an inebriated octopus, and you won't be too far off.

Sounds about right.

> > I would also like this to happen automatically but by default the
> > reverse zone is not created in a Samba AD. I don't know about
> > Windows
> > there but I doubt it done there.

Windows will work without a reverse zone, so it isn't created by
default, but as they have found out, everything else that Windows works
with will not.

Rowland