[Samba] Using samba-tool to join a linux file server to the domain doesn't appear to work

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Thu Nov 4 15:43:19 UTC 2021

On 11/4/21 10:06, David Mulder via samba wrote:

> On 11/4/21 9:01 AM, David Mulder via samba wrote:
>>

>> On 11/4/21 8:59 AM, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:
>>> Interesting.  Then I'm really confused as to why when I use
>>>
>>>     samba-tool domain join $domain MEMBER -U administrator
>>>
>>> The DNS A entry for the machine isn't created, but when I use
>>>
>>>     net ads join -U administrator
>>>
>>> it is. (same domain, same host joining)
>>>

>> Well, you have to be using samba-tool domain join member in 4.15+. The
>> samba-tool command is completely broken before that release ;)
>>

> (facepalm) Or maybe it's because I neglected to call the
> _net_ads_join_dns_updates() command in samba-tool domain join member.
> Let me see what I can do to fix this.

While you're looking at this, would it be possible to add code to add a
PTR record as well as the A record?  This would match the behavior for
Windows AD controllers.

And as I mentioned in the previous email, anything that's automatically
created should be automatically deleted, too, when a machine leaves the
domain. Otherwise we're recreating the Windows registry in terms of
cruft build up over time. Maybe there's no good way to do this, but I'm
pretty sure the Windows AD servers do this as well.