[Samba] Using samba-tool to join a linux file server to the domain doesn't appear to work

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Thu Nov 4 15:05:19 UTC 2021

On 11/4/21 10:01, David Mulder via samba wrote:

> On 11/4/21 8:59 AM, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:
>> Interesting.  Then I'm really confused as to why when I use
>>
>>     samba-tool domain join $domain MEMBER -U administrator
>>
>> The DNS A entry for the machine isn't created, but when I use
>>
>>     net ads join -U administrator
>>
>> it is. (same domain, same host joining)
>>

> Well, you have to be using samba-tool domain join member in 4.15+. The
> samba-tool command is completely broken before that release ;)

I'm using 4.15.1

See my email earlier today demonstrating the issue, which I observed
yesterday but couldn't test again then because I didn't know about
`samba-tool dns` which, btw, works great (good design!) save for the
unexplained "options" thing and the inexplicable data requirement for
deleting a record.