[Samba] samba-tool dns

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Thu Nov 4 09:57:55 UTC 2021

On 11/4/21 04:52, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Thu, 2021-11-04 at 04:49 -0500, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:
>> This is excerpted from
>> https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/samba-tool.8.html
>>
>>     dns add server zone name A|AAAA|PTR|CNAME|NS|MX|SRV|TXT data
>>

>> What is "data"?  The samba-tool man page provided no further
>> explanation.
>
> Whatever would go in the A, AAAA, CNAME etc, eg an IP address for A.

That explains why

root at samba-dc:~# samba-tool dns delete samba-dc ea.linuxcs.com atomsmasher A

didn't work. For a deletion, why wouldn't it just delete the entire A
record?  I'm not a DNS expert; presumably there are A record subfields
which can be twiddled then, so a deletion might not apply to the entire
A record?