[Samba] Potential inconsistency in Samba DNS server when used with `samba-tool domain join`

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Thu Nov 4 09:39:01 UTC 2021

> On Thu, 2021-11-04 at 04:25 -0500, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:
>>
>> However, shouldn't the DNS entry for a client be removed
>> automatically
>> when the client leaves the domain?
>

> In a great many cases, a computer leaves the domain, an adjustment is
> made and it then rejoins the domain. If the leave was to remove the dns
> as well, then you may have to recreate the dns records manually again.

Now that I know that one can manage DNS using samba-tool, let me do some
further testing.  So far I've *never* made any manual changes to the DNS
zones. It happens automatically when I join the domain (this is also how
it works with a Windows AD DC AFAIK). I checked with one of my Windows
colleagues, and he confirmed that both the A and PTR records are created
automatically when using Windows servers.

If the DNS entry is created automatically, it needs to be removed, too,
and that did seem to happen the first time I left the domain.  Will test
again now.