[Samba] Share won't mount -- how to debug?

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 3 18:32:22 UTC 2021

> On Wed, 2021-11-03 at 11:45 -0500, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:
>> And the dramatic conclusion is that no, it wasn't the conflicting
>> group
>> name interfering with the mount:
>
> OK, if you run this from the DC:
>
> ping -c1 data2
>
> Does it work ?

Yes:
root at samba-dc:~# ping -c1 data2
PING data2.ea.linuxcs.com (192.168.1.81) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.81 (192.168.1.81): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.514 ms

> Then (again on the DC):
>
> smbclient -NL data2
>
> What does that produce ?

root at samba-dc:~# smbclient -NL data2
Anonymous login successful

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	share           Disk      Share Directory
	software        Disk      Location for .msi files to be automatically
installed by AD
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.15.1-Debian)
SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available

However, one of the shares I set up is inexplicably missing from this list:

[home]
    comment = Home Directories
    path = /data/home
    guest ok = no
    browseable = no
    writeable = yes
    create mask = 0700
    directory mask = 0700
    follow symlinks = yes

[share]
    comment = Share Directory
    path = /data/share
    guest ok = no
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
    create mask = 0770
    directory mask = 0770
    # This can slow down large directory listings
    # hide unreadable = yes
    # inherit permissions = yes
    follow symlinks = yes

[software]
    comment = Location for .msi files to be automatically installed by AD
    path = /data/software
    guest ok = no
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
    create mask = 0770
    directory mask = 0770
    follow symlinks = yes

> Finally, can you connect via smbclient:
>
> smbclient //data2/share
>
> When logged in as 'mduffy'

Hmmm, that one could be tough, as mduffy isn't set up to log on to the
DC (and won't be), and the only other linux host I have in the domain
right now is data2

Let me increase the Samba log level on data2 to see if anything else
shows up in log.smbd. If that fails, I can quickly spin up another linux
host to use for this.

Meanwhile, just to test:

root at data2:/data# su - mduffy
su: warning: cannot change directory to /home/EA/mduffy: No such file or
directory

How/where is it deciding to make the home directory /home/EA/mduffy?  I
don't have anything set up under the user's Profile. Is this a default
location built into Samba?  For that matter, how is it deciding the
default shell is /bin/false?