[Samba] reverse DNS not working for some reason ...

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 3 09:24:59 UTC 2021

>> I'm OK with setting this up by hand, but not sure how to go about
>> doing
>> this. On the other hand, everything seems to be working without the
>> PTR
>> records, maybe it's fine.
>>
>> I haven't tried this, but if absolutely necessary I could probably
>> set
>> up a zone file on my bind9 server for the Samba domain PTR records,
>> and
>> the Samba DNS server could just refer the request to bind9. This
>> works
>> perfectly for A and CNAME records, never tried it with PTR (and
>> probably
>> won't unless it becomes an issue).
>
> No, please don't do that, you are not the first to think of doing it
> and it has never worked. If you must point your clients at the Bind9
> server, make it forward everything for the AD dns domain to a DC.

Sure, this makes sense. This still leaves me with no mechanism for
setting up PTR records when using the Samba built in DNS server though.

Maybe this is all set up to only work with DHCP, in which case I would
want to dig into using reservations so that machines have a
deterministic IP address. I know this isn't necessary with Dynamic DNS,
but I haven't come around to trusting this yet.