[Samba] smb.conf group syntax question

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 3 09:17:19 UTC 2021

I have yet to test this with winbind, but if I want to restrict access
to a share to the security group "staff", I think I would do this:

[share]
    comment = Share Directory
    path = /data/share
    guest ok = no
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
    create mask = 0770
    directory mask = 0770
    inherit acls = yes
    follow symlinks = yes
    wide links = yes
    valid users = @staff

What if I want to restrict access to a group name with spaces in it;
e.g. domain users?

Would the syntax be

    valid users = @"domain users"

or something else?

Also, I think "inherit acls = yes" is unnecessary because I have "vfs
objects = acl_xattr" in the global section, but that's an aside.

Also, I think the use of "wide links = yes" is discouraged because this
creates security issues?  Is it best practice to not include this?