[Samba] reverse DNS not working for some reason ...

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 3 08:33:30 UTC 2021

Hi Daniel -

Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm using Samba 4.15.1 with the built in DNS. I have my own bind9 server
(not part of the domain) as the next level up reference DNS.

The A records are set up automatically, but not the PTR records.

I ran `ipconfig /registerdns` as administrator on the W10 domain member,
but nothing changed:

root at samba-dc:/var/lib/samba/bind-dns# host ibs100
ibs100.ea.linuxcs.com has address 192.168.1.83

root at samba-dc:/var/lib/samba# host 192.168.1.83
Host 83.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Oddly, Samba sets up a bind-dns folder (where one would presumably find
zone files), but it's empty:

root at samba-dc:/var/lib/samba/bind-dns# pwd
/var/lib/samba/bind-dns
root at samba-dc:/var/lib/samba/bind-dns# ls -a
.  ..

I'm OK with setting this up by hand, but not sure how to go about doing
this. On the other hand, everything seems to be working without the PTR
records, maybe it's fine.

I haven't tried this, but if absolutely necessary I could probably set
up a zone file on my bind9 server for the Samba domain PTR records, and
the Samba DNS server could just refer the request to bind9. This works
perfectly for A and CNAME records, never tried it with PTR (and probably
won't unless it becomes an issue).

Christopher Cox mentioned that there are many network applications which
do reverse DNS lookups. What's an example of such a program that does
something other than say network discovery (e.g. host, nslookup, ss,
netstat, nmap, etc.)?