[Samba] reverse DNS not working for some reason ...

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 2 22:57:28 UTC 2021

> On Tue, 2021-11-02 at 16:59 -0500, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:
>>
>> What do I do for my linux domain members?
>
> Someone wrote a script to do this:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_DNS_records_with_BIND9
>
> This will, after you stop your Windows clients from updating their own
> dns records, cure all your dns problems.

Except: I'm assigning static IP addresses (i.e. no DHCP) and I'm not
using bind9 on the DC, I'm using the Samba built in DNS server.

I don't mind adding the PTR records by hand, but have no idea how to do
this. On my servers running bind, I just update the zone files, but in
AD everything is in a database.