[Samba] reverse DNS not working for some reason ...

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 2 21:59:18 UTC 2021

> On Tue, 2021-11-02 at 16:14 -0500, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:

>>> If you just set the forward (A) records, then no, you also have to
>>> set
>>> the reverse (PTR) records in AD and tell your Windows clients to
>>> use
>>> the reverse records.
>>>

>> The forward records are created automatically (I thought); I'm not
>> doing
>> anything I know of to facilitate this. You're saying the PTR records
>> have to be entered by hand?  How does one go about doing this?  And
>> if
>> it's not necessary for anything, no reason to bother with it?
>
> No, Windows will do it, you just have to tick a box on the Windows
> network device gui (if I remember correctly), something along the lines
> of 'update this clients IP in dns'

What do I do for my linux domain members?

Also, I just checked on my domain bound W10 machine. Under

    Adapter Properties -> Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) ->
Advanced -> DNS Tab

    "Register this connector's addresses in DNS" is checked, but no go
on the reverse search:

root at samba-dc:~# host 192.168.1.83
Host 83.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

If nothing uses the reverse search, I'm not going to worry about it.