[Samba] sambatool online backups

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Nov 2 20:19:19 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-11-02 at 12:48 -0700, Matt Ivie wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response.
>
> The reason I proposed that is that I can have bareos run a command to
> stop my DC, backup the dir, then restart it. Primarily for system
> failure restorations.

Please do not do that, it 'might' work if you have only one DC, but if
you have more than one DC (which is highly recommended), it will lead
to problems.

> > What is the actual command you ran ?
> >
> samba-tool domain backup online --targetdir=smb-ad-online-backup --
> server=Harveydc0 -UAdministrator

I run the command in a script which is run by cron every hour (you
could run it more often, depends how often your AD changes) and it
similar to your command, except that I use kerberos authentication.

As I said, it works for myself, but I use a much later version of
Samba.

Rowland