[Samba] potential machine account expiry question

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 2 14:20:40 UTC 2021

Hi -

I can't speak to this from the perspective of winbind, but this has been
a chronic problem with sssd (for myself, and others), so I've run into a
similar issue many times.

Once the kerberos ticket for a machine expires, it can't rejoin the
domain without manual intervention. Not sure where you read these
tickets don't expire, but they do.  Try running

   klist -kt

to see ticket timestamps.

At least in your case it's obvious why the ticket expired. sssd is
supposed to be renewing the kerberos ticket automatically, but it
doesn't always work for still unknown reasons. My solution to this for
sssd is to run a cron job every night:

   00 12 * * 1 root  msktutil --update --computer-name cns-cryo-krak7
--verbose --server austin.utexas.edu

That appears to have resolved the issue.

Again, your situation is more obvious, and since I haven't seen any
reports of winbind having a similar problem, I'm hoping to not have to
deal with this for my windbind-only installs.  <:)