[Samba] Book to learn new features since O'Reilly's 2007 "Using Samba, 3rd Edition"?

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 2 08:33:59 UTC 2021

Hi -

There are no current Samba or NFS books available, unfortunately. I've
looked. Many times. Also, be careful when googling.  This page:

     https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/old/Samba3-HOWTO/

is out of date, but still seems to come up as the top hit when googling,
say [samba howto].

Because there are many, many (some would say too many) ways to do things
with both Samba and Active Directory, your best strategy is to:

1.
Familiarize yourself with AD. There are some decent videos on youtube.
If you're a complete beginner, this one is helpful and down to earth:

   - Understanding Active Directory and Group Policy
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4I2lKHboDw

While extremely dated, this series of 15 videos is also helpful:

   - Server Basics (1) | Setup a Domain Controller | Windows Server 2008 R2
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGfwfWcLFMw

The same channel (PC-Addicts) provides a 5 video update and some other
AD howto's.

For a deeper dive into how GPO's work and should be used:
  --- 70-410 Objective 6.1 - Create and Manage GPO on Windows Server
2012 R2 Part 2
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMHJo73nsdM
   (This provides an explanation for scoping down a GPO)
--- 70-410 Objective 5.3 - Creating and Managing Groups and OUs on
Windows Server 2012 R2
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD-jxhocJZU
   (This explains the difference between different groups and the AGDLP
design pattern.)
--- 70-410 Objective 5.3 - Group Scope and Nesting Groups on Windows
Server 2012 R2
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRtQB-F_bVU
   (Careful explanation of how to use AGDLP.)

Finally, this has some helpful information on best practices, and
included links to some text documents.

  - Active Directory Best Practices - Ten Years Later
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q-rLcBKJaw

As you start to watch these things, you'll begin to realize that most
people making youtube videos about Active Directory have no idea what
they're doing; they're just clicking on memorized button sequences,
windows style. Check the Microsoft documentation to confirm that you are
correct. That realization will alert you that you're ready to move on to
the Samba Wiki.

2.
Skim through through every chapter in the Samba Wiki that looks
relevant.  Make notes as you go.

3.
Figure out what you're trying to do. This is more important than you
think. Vague ideas don't qualify here. Write down exactly what kind of a
system you're trying to architect. Then start trying to build it, step
by step. That's how you figure out what the gaps in your knowledge are.

4.
Now go back to the Samba Wiki and carefully read the pages relevant to
your system plan. You will go back and forth between your build and
online resources like the Wiki.

5.
When in doubt, this forum is a great resource.

6.
Yes, a book would be helpful. I nominate Rowland. Rowland, I can put you
in touch with the editor I review books for at Manning. Packt would
probably be interested, too. (Don't blame or curse me if you take me up
on this offer, though.)