[Samba] steady increase of objects reported by dbcheck in my test samdom

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon May 31 18:36:05 UTC 2021

On 31/05/2021 19:13, mj via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In my samdom test AD, I am observing a constant increase of objects
> reported by dbcheck.
>
> As an example: During the last hour, the number of objects has
> increased from 2646 to 2660, in small steps. This test samdom is just
> three DCs with no actual clients accessing or using it. One samba DC,
> one win2008R2 DC and one win2012R2 DC.

Deleted objects ??

> samba-tool dbcheck [--cross-ncs] reports no errors, it replicates
> fine, there are no offline DCs, etc. Nothing seems to be wrong, just
> the number of objects increases.
>
> I am curious what the added objects are: is there a way to find this out?
>
> I'm looking for something like slapcat of the entire AD to an ldif, so
> I can compare these LDIFs and identify the changes between them.

Run on the Samba DC: ldbsearch --cross-ncs --show-binary -H $(samba -b |
grep 'PRIVATE_DIR' | sed 's/   PRIVATE_DIR: //')/sam.ldb -P > AD.ldif

This will dump the entire AD into an ldif

You can probably do something similar against the Windows DC's by
replacing the '$(samba -b | grep 'PRIVATE_DIR' | sed 's/ PRIVATE_DIR:
//')/sam.ldb' with 'ldap://DC_NAME' , where 'DC_NAME' is the DC's
hostname, and replace '-P' with '-U Administrator'. You will also need
to change the ldif file name.

> Ideas? And also on what could cause the number of objects to grow?

Hard to tell, deleted objects, or collisions, or tombstones ???

Rowland