[Samba] LabView build directory / inherit owner / smb_set_file_dosmode not permitted

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon May 31 15:43:02 UTC 2021

On 31/05/2021 16:12, Stephan Roth via samba wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have the problem of an application (LabView 2019) trying to create a
> directory (to build an executable application in) which fails when
> "inherit owner = Yes" is set.
>
> According to the log, it fails when calling smb_set_file_dosmode for
> the directory it wants to create:
>
> [2021/05/31 16:46:25.741729,  2]
> ../source3/smbd/trans2.c:6271(smb_set_file_dosmode)
>   smb_set_file_dosmode: file_set_dosmode of labviewtest/builddir
> failed (Operation not permitted)
>
> When I set ""inherit owner = No" the directory is created and owned by
> the user running the application.
>
> I'd like to keep "inherit owner = Yes".
>
> Is there a possible workaround from the Samba side to fake
> smb_set_file_dosmode as being permitted and ignoring the function call?
>
> I tried setting "write list = testuser" (where testuser was running the
> application) without success.
>

> I'm using Samba from Debian Stretch (4.5.16+dfsg-1+deb9u4)

My first thoughts are upgrade Samba, but your distro is EOL as well (OK,
technically it is LTS, but it is really only getting security updates),
so you should upgrade your distro and then Samba. For a really uptodate
Samba version, see here: https://apt.van-belle.nl/

It will probably also help if you can post your smb.conf, so we can see
exactly how you are running Samba.

Rowland