[Samba] Samba on AIX with security = ads - does it actually work?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu May 27 19:04:34 UTC 2021

On 26/05/2021 16:27, Ben Huntsman wrote:
> >From everything you have posted, I am fairly convinced that you have an
> >AIX problem and not a Samba problem. I can assure you that Samba works
> >on Linux, it just doesn't seem to work on AIX.
>
> I concur.  I never suggested there was any problem on Linux, it's just
> not a Linux server we need this working on.  I was hoping that maybe
> we could gather enough info that a bug could be identified and perhaps
> fixed...
>
> Thanks again!
>
> -Ben

I have just found this:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/553943/aix-and-winbind-users-works-fine-all-except-fori-have-no-name

Which seems to say that whilst AIX is a 64bit OS, Samba for some
inexplicable reason is 32bit and so lsuser doesn't work. I have no idea
if this is true, but it is worth checking and if it is true, then you
need to speak to whomever is compiling Samba.

Rowland