[Samba] Samba share for HPC environment.

Daniel Lopes de Carvalho daniel at cepetro.unicamp.br
Mon May 24 17:27:51 UTC 2021

Hi Jeremy, how are you doing?

We are a petroleum engineering research lab. We work specifically with
reservoir simulation and we have this HPC to do this job for us.

There are some studie case that a user needs to simulate 100, 200 or 500
cases at once. And these simulations take place in parallel, having an
intense reading and writing operation.

Samba is installed in the headnode of this HPC, but the storage is in
another dedicated server and they are connected by NFS mount in an
infiniband network (100Gbps). The clients (users desktops) are connected to
headnode with a gigabit network.

There are not many symptoms and after a certain time of running these
simulations, Windows returns this error (An unexpected network error
occurred) without giving details. In the Windows event logs there is also
not much to investigate too. The error appears to be a momentary network
outage.

Some searches on Google have returned that it may be a Windows problem with
UAC. But I haven't investigated it in depth yet.

I thought that Samba could have a specific configuration for these intense
uses of reading and writing, so I decided to write to you and ask for some
advice.

Thanks and best regards

--
Daniel Lopes de Carvalho