[Samba] Samba share for HPC environment.

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon May 24 12:27:22 UTC 2021

On 24/05/2021 13:05, Daniel Lopes de Carvalho via samba wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I would like to ask for help with a Samba share in an HPC environment.
>
> We have a pretty new HPC cluster that is running a proprietary software
> that opens multiple Samba network connections. And these connections
> perform intense reading and writing files.
>
> At a given moment, I don't know if Samba or Windows has a network
> unavailability error.
>
> I would like to know if there is any configuration or tunning that can be
> done in Samba to support these connections and these reading and writing
> operations.
>
> In the Samba log, there are no error messages.
>
> Regarding the hardware, they are new machines, with less than 1 years of
> manufacture and the storage of this HPC is a dedicated server. Specs:
>
> HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10
> 2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 5218 CPU @ 2.30GHz (total 64 cores)
> 192GB RAM
> Centos 8.1
> ulimit = unlimited
> file system = XFS
>
> smb.conf:
> [global]
>     security = ads
>     workgroup = EXAMPLE
>     realm = EXAMPLE.COM
>
>     idmap config * : backend = tdb
>     idmap config * : range = 90000001-100000000
>
>     idmap config UNISIM : default = yes
>     idmap config UNISIM : backend = ad
>     idmap config UNISIM : schema_mode = rfc2307
>     idmap config UNISIM : range = 1000-90000000
>     idmap config UNISIM : unix_nss_info = yes
>
>     template homedir = /home/%U
>     template shell = /bin/bash
>
>     winbind use default domain = true
>     winbind refresh tickets = Yes
>
>     dedicated keytab file = /etc/krb5.keytab
>     kerberos method = secrets and keytab
>
>     vfs objects = acl_xattr
>     map acl inherit = Yes
>     store dos attributes = Yes
>
>     log level = 4
>     log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>     syslog = 0
>     syslog only = No
>
> [scratch]
>     comment = Scratch area
>     browseable = yes
>     writeable = yes
>     path = /scratch
>     create mode = 0755
>     public = yes
>     read only = no
>     oplocks = no
>     level2 oplocks = no
>
> Could someone help or give me any advice.
>
> Thanks

There doesn't seem to be much wrong with the smb.conf, except the
workgroup is 'EXAMPLE' and the 'idmap config' lines use 'UNISIM', they
should match, so if it isn't a sanitisation error, you need to fix this.
You are using the 'ad' winbind backend, so do your users have a
uidNumber attribute and does 'Domain Users' have a gidNumber attribute ?
If they do have the required attributes, are they inside the
'1000-90000000' range ?

Finally, 'public = yes' will not work, because you do not have 'map to
guest = yes' in 'global'

Rowland