[Samba] Samba share for HPC environment.

Daniel Lopes de Carvalho daniel at cepetro.unicamp.br
Mon May 24 12:05:05 UTC 2021

Hey guys,

I would like to ask for help with a Samba share in an HPC environment.

We have a pretty new HPC cluster that is running a proprietary software
that opens multiple Samba network connections. And these connections
perform intense reading and writing files.

At a given moment, I don't know if Samba or Windows has a network
unavailability error.

I would like to know if there is any configuration or tunning that can be
done in Samba to support these connections and these reading and writing
operations.

In the Samba log, there are no error messages.

Regarding the hardware, they are new machines, with less than 1 years of
manufacture and the storage of this HPC is a dedicated server. Specs:

HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10
2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 5218 CPU @ 2.30GHz (total 64 cores)
192GB RAM
Centos 8.1
ulimit = unlimited
file system = XFS

smb.conf:
[global]
   security = ads
   workgroup = EXAMPLE
   realm = EXAMPLE.COM

   idmap config * : backend = tdb
   idmap config * : range = 90000001-100000000

   idmap config UNISIM : default = yes
   idmap config UNISIM : backend = ad
   idmap config UNISIM : schema_mode = rfc2307
   idmap config UNISIM : range = 1000-90000000
   idmap config UNISIM : unix_nss_info = yes

   template homedir = /home/%U
   template shell = /bin/bash

   winbind use default domain = true
   winbind refresh tickets = Yes

   kerberos method = secrets and keytab

   vfs objects = acl_xattr
   map acl inherit = Yes
   store dos attributes = Yes

   log level = 4
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   syslog = 0
   syslog only = No

[scratch]
   comment = Scratch area
   browseable = yes
   writeable = yes
   path = /scratch
   create mode = 0755
   public = yes
   read only = no
   oplocks = no
   level2 oplocks = no

Could someone help or give me any advice.

Thanks
--
Daniel Lopes de Carvalho
daniel at cepetro.unicamp.br