[Samba] DNS updates statmenent

Anders Östling anders.ostling at gmail.com
Mon May 24 06:24:06 UTC 2021

Hi

I have added the clause "dns allow updates = nonsecure" in the
smb.config file and restarted the samba-ad-dc server. But looking at
the zone, it still says "DNS_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE". Is this expected or
a glitch (DOM is substituted for the actual domain name)?

root at hp-ad1:/home/sysman# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
# Global parameters
[global]
dns forwarder = 8.8.8.8
netbios name = HP-AD1
allow dns updates = nonsecure
realm = DOM.SE
workgroup = HP

[sysvol]
path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
read only = No

[netlogon]
path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/DOM.se/scripts
read only = No

root at hp-ad1:/home/sysman# samba-tool dns zoneinfo 10.0.2.50 DOM.se -U
administrator
Password for [DOM\administrator]:

  pszZoneName                 : DOM.se
  dwZoneType                  : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
  fReverse                    : FALSE
  fAllowUpdate                : DNS_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
  fPaused                     : FALSE
  fShutdown                   : FALSE
  fAutoCreated                : FALSE
  fUseDatabase                : TRUE
  pszDataFile                 : None
  aipMasters                  : []
  fSecureSecondaries          : DNS_ZONE_SECSECURE_NO_XFER
  fNotifyLevel                : DNS_ZONE_NOTIFY_LIST_ONLY
  aipSecondaries              : []
  aipNotify                   : []
  fUseWins                    : FALSE
  fUseNbstat                  : FALSE
  fAging                      : FALSE
  dwNoRefreshInterval         : 168
  dwRefreshInterval           : 168
  dwAvailForScavengeTime      : 0
  aipScavengeServers          : []
  dwRpcStructureVersion       : 0x2
  dwForwarderTimeout          : 0
  fForwarderSlave             : 0
  aipLocalMasters             : []
  dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED
DNS_DP_DOMAIN_DEFAULT DNS_DP_ENLISTED
  pszDpFqdn                   : DomainDnsZones.DOM.se
  pwszZoneDn                  :
DC=DOM.se,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=DOM,DC=se
  dwLastSuccessfulSoaCheck    : 0
  dwLastSuccessfulXfr         : 0
  fQueuedForBackgroundLoad    : FALSE
  fBackgroundLoadInProgress   : FALSE
  fReadOnlyZone               : FALSE
  dwLastXfrAttempt            : 0
  dwLastXfrResult             : 0

samba 4.14.4 on Debian with internal DNS
--
"A wise man once told me - Any idiot can do backups, but it takes a

Anders Östling
+46 768 716 165 (Mobil)
+46 431 45 56 01  (Hem)