[Samba] slowness in samba4 AD

Allen Chen achen at harbourfrontcentre.com
Fri May 21 14:01:10 UTC 2021

On 5/20/2021 8:29 AM, Marcos Ariel Negrini via samba wrote:
> Hi Rowland:
> Was something that was evaluated, and in my case I agree with what you
> comment; I'm going to bring it up again to see if we change that.
>
> I have a doubt when you say that windows clients can modify their dns
> records; are you referring to the generation of the A record when a
> computer joins the domain? or in some other situation a computer can
> somehow modify dns information within the dc's?
> In our case the A records are not generated automatically in the
> domain join, is this because we are not doing the domain join using
> the dns of the dc's directly?
In my settings, windows PC points to company DNS server, and company DNS
server forwards AD query to AD DC.
When I move PC around(to different vlans with different IP address), the
A record in AD DC gets updated within half a hour or so.
When I join a PC to my domain, the A record gets added in AD DC immediately.
I don't know how windows PC update the A record in DC: does it go
through company DNS or go to AD DC directly? (I am using Samba 4.8.12)

Allen