[Samba] CSC & roaming profiles

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Thu May 20 10:45:10 UTC 2021

Mandi! Anders Östling via samba
  In chel di` si favelave...

> I have had roaming profiles enabled on user accounts since November last year. This is a small business with approx 10 users, but a few of them are actually taking benefit of the roaming profile feature.

I manage roaming profiles with some samba domains (some AD, some NT)
and i confirm that is a useful feature, but sometime 'broke' and need
to be fixed (client side and/or server side).

Apart share permission issue, some hint/info.

Firstly i've found very useful to set a quota on profiles, via
GPO/MLGPO; lighter profiles mean not only shorter logon, but also
lighter troubles. Surely, users have to be 'educated' («why i cannot put
my holyday 4K video on my desktop?»).

Secondly, it is very useful to redirect some folder to some share, eg
'Documents', 'Download' and so on; again, you can redirect folders via
GPO, MLGPO or direct registry editing.

> Anyway, I managed to get it back on track by loosing up permissions on the /share/profiles folder (temporary) but I need to find a permanent solution. During the attempts to restore the clients, I also found out that the C:/Windows/CSC directory has a function too. Another cache besides what is under C:/Users/<username>/Desktop/? At the same time, the few roaming users also got problems accessing their U:/AppData/Roaming folders. The permissions looked good, but MS apps (Excel and Word had a different opinion and refused to load documents). The temporary fix for this was also to loose up permissions on the AppData folder until I had a better understanding of what’s going on.

But, if you keep CSC enabled, enabling folder redirection will enable
automagically CSC for redirected folder; in my experience, CSC is a bit
a crap, and work reilably only if there's only ONE domin user per PC.
Also, for non-portable system, make not sense to me to have CSC enabled.

I hope i was useful.