[Samba] Create GPO in Linux / bash

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Wed May 19 15:59:53 UTC 2021

Hi Samba-team,

I am trying to manage my Samba (4.14) environment completely scripted
from the command-line.
So fas samba-tool and ldb* utils have been of great help to configure my
samba-dc.

One of the last obstacles is the creation of GPOs. The Samba docs point
me at the graphical Windows tool RSAT, not very helpful for my use-case.

At the last SambaXP I have seen presentations from David Mulder and the
people of AltLinux, who are working on GPOs in Samba. Both have their
own graphical tools to configure GPOs.

All not very scriptable :-(
On the other hand the Linux-based graphical tools seem to be able to
create and edit GPOs.

Is there any command-line tooling available to create a GPO from some
kind of definition file (json, xml, etc)?
Or a tool to add/update/remove individual items to/in/from a GPO?
Or perhaps a python package to interface with it? Or just anything else?

In other words: what are the options for automating GPO creation in Linux?

- Kees