[Samba] CSC & roaming profiles

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed May 19 08:41:17 UTC 2021

Anders,

I suggest have a look that this script i made.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thctlo/samba4/master/samba-setup-share-folders.sh
It setups up a base structure with needed rights. Compair them with yours.
Note, i use AD-backend on the member servers.

To reduce problems, ( you never can fully, simply because of windows.. )
1) Setup the profiles with the rights as shown in the script.
2) read this.. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/folder-redirection/folder-redirection-rup-overview
And the sections below it.

> U:/AppData/Roaming..
On this, windows expect the user to be the owner on the userhome dirs.

> Get a message ?We could not log you on using a profile, a
> temporary profile has been created? (or quite similar to this)

Same for profiles, but there you can set also in GPO.
GPO:  Add the adminstrators security group to roaming user profiles.
That helps for the profiles itself.

Check this script to fix the rights on the userhomedir
https://github.com/thctlo/samba4/blob/master/samba-fix-userhome-recursive.sh
I seen same as you, i must follow an oder on how i create a new user for example.

I create the user, fist thing then i set the UID/GID for the users.
Then i can make the homefolder and profiles folder

If the user homedir is created, directly when you added the user,
like when you make a copy of a other user and \server.fqdn\users\%username% is used in RSAT
Then the rights are wrong, in these cases i or run above script or change it manual.

I hope that this will help you.

Greetz,

Louis