[Samba] adding windows DC to samba AD

mj lists at merit.unu.edu
Mon May 17 11:27:16 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 11/05/2021 11:45, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>> The attempt to join this computer to the "samba.company.com" domain
>> failed. "This operation is only allowed for the Primary Domain
>> Controller of the domain."
>>
>> I did not know that there are primary (and thus also secondary?) DCs
>> in AD.
>

> There aren't, I think it is referring to the PDC_Emulator FSMO role,
> perhaps it is trying to join using the wrong DC ?

No, it seems that message is displayed when the [sysvol] share is not
available on the 2008R2 DC.

After enabling the sysvol share
(https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Enabling_the_Sysvol_Share_on_a_Windows_DC)
I can add a 2012R2 DC to the domain.

(and I double checked: all FSMO roles are still on a samba DC)

MJ