[Samba] 'getent group mygroup' fails when 'winbind use default domain = yes'

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Thu May 13 16:14:40 UTC 2021

Hi Samba-team,

I am trying to get my smb-fileserver working as domain-member in a
samba-dc domain.

A part of smb.conf [global]:

[global]
         netbios name = GRIEG
         security = ADS
         realm = COMPOSERS.LAN
         workgroup = COMPOSERS
         vfs objects = acl_xattr
         idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
         idmap config composers:backend = ad
         idmap config composers:schema_mode = rfc2307
         idmap config composers:unix_nss_info = yes
         idmap config composers:range = 1001-999999
         idmap config *:backend = tdb
         idmap config *:range = 1000000-1999999
         #winbind cache time = 300
         winbind enum groups = yes
         winbind enum users = yes
         #winbind expand groups = 10
         #winbind normalize names = yes
         #winbind offline logon = yes
         winbind refresh tickets = yes
         #winbind scan trusted domains = yes
         winbind use default domain = yes

Some lines of /etc/nsswitch.conf:

passwd:         files winbind
group:          files winbind
shadow:         files
gshadow:        files

With 'winbind use default domain = yes', 'getent group' returns all
groups properly, although there a slow down when it starts listing the
domain groups. Such slow down is not visible when listing users with
'getent passwd'.

When I do 'getent group mygroup', nothing is returned.

With winbind use default domain = no', 'getent group' still works
properly but there is no slow down on domain groups and 'getent group
COMPOSERS\\mygroup' now returns the group details as expected.

I would prefer to have 'winbind use default domain = yes'. What can I do
to make domain group lookups work properly?

- Kees