[Samba] Compatibility with Windows Server + Azure

ralph strebbing blackbirdralph at gmail.com
Tue May 11 16:42:34 UTC 2021

Hi All,

So I've read sporadic stuff around the wiki, and some scattered
threads here on the mail list, but nothing too direct on whether this
could work or not.

So we're about to move away from a self-hosted mail server to O365,
and to keep things in Sync, I'd like to utilize AzureAD Connect,
however as anyone can guess it's meant to run on Windows Server 2012,
2016 or, 2019.

Not sure if it's still the case with regards to joining Windows
servers to the samba domain as additional Domain Controllers, but one
solution I was theorizing was to setup a Windows Server 2012R2
machine, and join it to the Samba AD Domain as a DC (Maybe ReadOnly?)
to facilitate creating the user accounts and syncing passwords with
AzureAD/O365. I just don't know whether I'm going to completely
destroy/break the new Samba domain by doing this, or if there are
heavy concerns with this method.

If I can't reliably join a Windows Server and use AzureAD Connect, I'm
looking for any other solution to sync our AD accounts with AzureAD.

Thanks for any input!

Regards,
Ralph S.