[Samba] adding windows DC to samba AD

mj lists at merit.unu.edu
Tue May 11 09:25:11 UTC 2021

Hi,

This morning, I simply tried adding the 2008R2 DC again, and the DC was
added successfully. Domain logons work, etc. Not sure why it didn't work
yesterday. I also transferred fsmo roles to the 2008R2 DC.

Next step was trying to add a win2012R2 DC following
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Windows_Server_2012_/_2012_R2_DC_to_a_Samba_AD
but it fails with:

The attempt to join this computer to the "samba.company.com" domain
failed. "This operation is only allowed for the Primary Domain
Controller of the domain."

I did not know that there are primary (and thus also secondary?) DCs in AD.

Thing is: I would prefer not to include a (EOLed) win2008R2 DC in our
samba domain.

Hence the question: Is it possible at all to add a current (not EOL-ed)
version of windows as a DC in a samba AD on level 2008_R2 ?

Also asking because of the warning on the samba wiki.
> ("Joining a Windows Server 2012 or 2012 R2 DC to a Samba AD breaks the
> AD replication! Do not use this documentation until the problem is fixed!
> For more details, see Bug #13618 and Bug #13619.")

What is the situation regarding this?

Best,
MJ