[Samba] Hoping someone can shed some light on this issue

Andrew Walker walker.aj325 at gmail.com
Tue May 11 01:01:57 UTC 2021

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 7:34 PM Andrew Bartlett via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2021-05-10 at 19:17 +0100, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> > >
> > > Who are you connecting as ? A Windows user that is unknown to the
> > > Samba standalone server, or a user that is known to the standalone
> > > server ? If the latter, are you using the correct password ?
> > >
> > > Rowland
> > >

> > No, don't bother, its Microsoft trying to stop you doing something
> > that
> > has been a part of Samba since Adam was a lad 😂
> >
> > see here:
> >
> https://techjourney.net/cannot-connect-to-cifs-smb-samba-network-shares-shared-folders-in-windows-10/
>
> I'm really glad they did that, but I'm surprised we haven't heard more
> about it.  We need to update our documentation to make it clear that
> 'guest ok' and 'map to guest = bad user' isn't a practical option any
> more.

We have had quite a few users report this issue and have had to document
around it in FreeNAS.  IIRC the change happened in Windows 10 version 1709
and Windows Server version 1903.  MacOS these days also gets unhappy if it
requests an authenticated session, but gets a guest one (can't remember
version there). The world moved on in terms of what is acceptable in terms
of security (and with good reason). Now if only we could get rid of those
NT domains :))

Andrew