[Samba] Hoping someone can shed some light on this issue

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon May 10 23:33:47 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-05-10 at 19:17 +0100, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 10/05/2021 19:10, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> > On 10/05/2021 19:00, Todd Ruffing wrote:
> > > It's a no-go on the configuration changes.  I backed up the
> > > original
> > > config file and modified the old config file to resemble what
> > > you
> > > had.  I restarted the server (I know I could have forced samba
> > > pick up the config changes, just thought it would be best to
> > > restart
> > > it.).  I tried the mapping from windows 2016 to samba, and got
> > > the
> > > same result.  Windows 2008 still works after the changes.  Why
> > > doesn't windows 2016 work.  Did Microsoft change something in
> > > prevent it from working?
> >
> > Who are you connecting as ? A Windows user that is unknown to the
> > Samba standalone server, or a user that is known to the standalone
> > server ? If the latter, are you using the correct password ?
> >
> > Rowland
> >

> No, don't bother, its Microsoft trying to stop you doing something
> that
> has been a part of Samba since Adam was a lad 😂
>
> see here:
> https://techjourney.net/cannot-connect-to-cifs-smb-samba-network-shares-shared-folders-in-windows-10/

I'm really glad they did that, but I'm surprised we haven't heard more
about it.  We need to update our documentation to make it clear that
'guest ok' and 'map to guest = bad user' isn't a practical option any
more.

The crux of the issue is that because we don't give out (eg) an SSL
certificate there is no way, absent a password, to validate the
server.

So the password is what sets up the full chain of protection on the
connection.

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions