[Samba] Hoping someone can shed some light on this issue

Christopher Cox chriscox at endlessnow.com
Mon May 10 22:57:26 UTC 2021

On 5/10/21 5:45 PM, Dachshund Digital via samba wrote:
> Microsoft continues to confuse 'secured smb communication' with 'Microsoft smb
> only compatible communication' again and again via various tweaks, if not code
> design.  Thus, Microsoft considers every implementation of smb, but their own,
> even their original variants of smb, to be insecure and risky by policy, versus
> actual vulnerabilities applicable.  Every time Microsoft tweaks smb directly or
> indirectly, they ignore any impact to any smb implementation but to their own
> code base.  If 'smb' was a closed protocol, that would be one thing, but it is
> not a closed protocol.
>
> Which is sad if not funny... because Microsoft only gained market share again
> Novell, by using the Novell v1.0 API for years, which Novell improved but good
> old Windows NT only talked Novell v1.0 API ever, i.e NCP 1.0.
>
> Microsoft tries to state that their 'only' motive is protecting their users, and
> it just happens to explicitly break compatibility with other smb implementations
> routinely, right, sure.  If you believe that I have bridge in Moscow, that you
> can purchase free and clear... cheap.

Not saying there isn't some truth, but generally speaking, properly configured,
you shouldn't have many problems going from a Windows 10 host to a Samba share.

With that said, for sure Microsoft is a proprietary closed source company, which
does means that, at its discretion, they can block or accidentally stop anything
from working.  Just they way it is.  And there's not a whole lot we can do.
Either wait for a fix, or adapt to the "new way" (if a radical change happens).

To me, the bigger question, why use Microsoft products if they are the absolute
devil?  Arguments about anti-Microsoft carry more weight with me if people are
actively moving away from them.  You know?  To complain and send them more
money, doesn't seem right.  To complain and still use Windows.... does that make
sense?  To me, maybe it's not as bad as you say (?)

(snip)