[Samba] Hoping someone can shed some light on this issue

Dachshund Digital dachshund-digital at dc.rr.com
Mon May 10 22:45:15 UTC 2021

Microsoft continues to confuse 'secured smb communication' with
'Microsoft smb only compatible communication' again and again via
various tweaks, if not code design.  Thus, Microsoft considers every
implementation of smb, but their own, even their original variants of
smb, to be insecure and risky by policy, versus actual vulnerabilities
applicable.  Every time Microsoft tweaks smb directly or indirectly,
they ignore any impact to any smb implementation but to their own code
base.  If 'smb' was a closed protocol, that would be one thing, but it
is not a closed protocol.

Which is sad if not funny... because Microsoft only gained market share
again Novell, by using the Novell v1.0 API for years, which Novell
improved but good old Windows NT only talked Novell v1.0 API ever, i.e
NCP 1.0.

Microsoft tries to state that their 'only' motive is protecting their
users, and it just happens to explicitly break compatibility with other
smb implementations routinely, right, sure.  If you believe that I have
bridge in Moscow, that you can purchase free and clear... cheap.

-DD