[Samba] BIND9_FLATFILE & BIND9_DLZ

me at tdiehl.org me at tdiehl.org
Fri May 7 03:01:06 UTC 2021

HI,

On Thu, 6 May 2021, Dan Egli via samba wrote:

> I've been playing with Samba on my test server in AD DC mode. I think I've
> got most of it, but one thing I'm trying to figure out is the DNS backend. I
> can't use SAMBA_INTERNAL, much as I'd like to, because I don't have an
> alternate machine that samba can query when asked about names not in the
> domain.

There is nothing that says you need to run your own name servers for zones you
are not authoritative for. You could simply use 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8, etc. for
forwarders if you want to use the SAMBA_INTERNAL DNS server.

> I tried bind9_dlz once, and I remember I could not get it working
> right.

bind9_dlz is easy to setup. See https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/BIND9_DLZ_DNS_Back_End
for instructions.

> I'd be tempted to use _FLATFILE but I seem to recall word that this
> option was scheduled for removal soon. So, what's the best method for
> providing internet DNS and AD Name resolution on the same machine?

IIRC, Flatfile does not work and will be removed sooner or later.

Regards,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org