[Samba] Some questions about Samba user accounts.

Jason Long hack3rcon at yahoo.com
Thu May 6 21:06:09 UTC 2021

Standalone server?
When I created some users, then should I add some lines into "smb.conf" file?

On Thursday, May 6, 2021, 10:06:40 PM GMT+4:30, Rowland penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

On 06/05/2021 17:56, Jason Long wrote:
> Thank you.
> What is wrong with the "useradd" and "smbpasswd" commands?

Nothing, when used with a standalone server, you just do not use them
with a Unix domain member.

'useradd' creates a Unix user and 'smbpasswd' will make it a Samba user
on a standalone server, but, in AD, all your users must be in AD and
Samba maps them from AD users to Unix users via the 'idmap config lines
you set in the Unix domain members smb.conf

Rowland