[Samba] Some questions about Samba user accounts.

Jason Long hack3rcon at yahoo.com
Thu May 6 16:40:03 UTC 2021

Hello,
I used "useradd" and "smbpasswd" for create a Samba user account and I have some questions:

1- What is a machine account and is it mandatory?

2- How can I change the password policies like length and complexity criteria when setting up a Samba user password?

# smbpasswd -a user
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to modify account record CN=user,CN=Users,DC=mydomain,DC=z to set user attributes: 0000052D: Constraint violation - check_password_restrictions: the password is too short. It should be equal or longer than 7 characters!
Failed to modify entry for user user.

3- Is it possible to create a group and add users to it?

Thank you.