[Samba] Keytab MEMORY:cifs_srv_keytab is nonexistent or empty

Jeremy Monnet jmonnet at gmail.com
Thu May 6 16:24:51 UTC 2021

Hi,

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 2:33 PM Rowland penny via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 06/05/2021 13:14, Jeremy Monnet wrote:
> >
> >  No, I didn't see that part ?! I hope I can still authenticate user
> > against an AD using sssd, and have samba autonomous to provide Shares
> > ? I couldn't find any article or information on that subject ?
>

> Up until Samba 4.8.0 , the smbd daemon (which you need for shares) could
> 'talk' directly to AD, so you could use sssd with Samba and have shares.
> When Samba 4.8.0 was released, things changed, smbd can no longer 'talk'
> to AD and on a Unix domain member, you need to use 'security = ADS' and
> run winbind and sssd and winbind are incompatible. If you want to use
> Samba with shares, you need to remove sssd.

So Redhat does support that
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/3802321 (It is probably also
behind a paywall - though I think you only need an account, not a
paying one, never mind...)
In short :

realm  join testlab.redhat.com -U Administrator --client-software=sssd
--membership-software=samba
and

[global]
    realm = TESTLAB.REDHAT.COM
    workgroup = TESTLAB
    security = ads
    kerberos method = secrets and keytab
[...]
   idmap config * : backend = tdb
    idmap config * :  range = 10000-199999
    idmap config TESTLAB : backend = sss
    idmap config TESTLAB : range = 200000-2147483647

I do not know whether it works by accident, but eventually I am
authenticating via SSSD and offering Shares via smb at the same time.
I will probably have to migrate that soon nevertheless... :-/

Thanks for your insight,

Jeremy