[Samba] /proc/self open fails with proc_owner Was: Time-machine replies with 17: File Exists

Jorgen Lundman lundman at lundman.net
Thu May 6 00:58:44 UTC 2021

> hm, but what is this controlled and controlling process nonsense about? They're both the same process here. The only thing I can imagine is that you cannot reopen with a different mode then the original open -- which is totally braindead. But anyway...

If we are curious, we die in:

dtrace -n 'secpolicy_proc_access:entry {printf("uid %u, euid %d, gid %d, egid %d", $uid, $euid, $gid, $egid);} '  -n 'secpolicy_proc_access:return {printf("%d", arg1);}’

  7  14124      secpolicy_proc_access:entry uid 0, euid 0, gid 0, egid 0
  7  14125     secpolicy_proc_access:return 13

int
secpolicy_proc_access(const cred_t *scr)
{
        return (PRIV_POLICY(scr, PRIV_PROC_OWNER, B_FALSE, EACCES, NULL));
}

I attempted to award proc_owner to root (even though it already has All) but I seem unable to make it get past this check.