[Samba] What is wrong in my Samba setup?

Jason Long hack3rcon at yahoo.com
Sat May 1 14:50:20 UTC 2021

Thanks.
Thus, if I want to have a domain with the name "microsoft.com", then I must use "jason.microsoft.com", because "microsoft.com" is already registered. OK?

On Saturday, May 1, 2021, 07:08:58 PM GMT+4:30, Rowland penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

On 01/05/2021 15:20, Jason Long wrote:
> Thanks.
> If something like "jason" is illegal, then why in Windows DC, domain names don't have any prefix? For example, a Windows domain could be "MYNETWORKDOMAIN.CCC".

'jason' isn't illegal, it is the context that you were asking about,
'jason.com' is a registered dns domain, so you shouldn't use it as your
base dns domain. You shouldn't use any registered dns domain directly as
an AD dns domain, you should use a subdomain of this, from your example
above, it could be something like 'jason.mynetworkdomain.ccc'. There is
probably an existing dns server for the 'mynetworkdomain.ccc' and the DC
must be authoritative for its dns domain and it cannot be if there is an
existing dns server.

Rowland