[Samba] DNS Forwarder again

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Wed Mar 31 17:23:32 UTC 2021

On 3/31/21 12:02 PM, Yakov Revyakin via samba wrote:
> Hi all,
> Could you help me to understand why my setting for Dns Forwarder doesn't
> work as waiting?
> I have:
> dns forwarder = 8.8.8.8 11.0.0.3
>
> This way I can resolve names of samba domain as well as internet names, but
> I can't get resolved names from 11.0.0.3 external AD domain.
>
> I thought that google dns is recursive. Any explanation on?

If I understand correctly, you expect responses from both forwarders.
That isn't how forwarding works. It ask one of them and get a response.
Positive or negative, it will be the only response to the client. You
can put more than one there for redundancy.

If you expect a response from 11.0.0.3, when the server first asked
8.8.8.8, if it get a negative response, 11.0.0.3 will not be asked, it
will only if there is a problem (timeout for example) using 8.8.8.8