[Samba] DNS returns a wrong ip address

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Mar 30 09:01:24 UTC 2021

On 30/03/2021 09:15, Peter Boos via samba wrote:
> We got two samba DC's with DNS, managed by a windows system with admin tools installed.
> If I ping a certain client a testing system it does return on a wrong IP (and then fails ping).
> The returned IP is  192.168.99.21 while we use a 172.x.x.x network
> It returns a dual host reply but 192 first 172 next, I checked both DNS systems from Windows side.
> Also NSlookup on Linux
>
> The entry is not visible on the windows system with admin tools.
> Even when I removed the proper available entry, a nslookup resulted in an wrong answer.
> When I tried a wins lookup nmblookup it cannot resolve it either, so I don't know where it comes from.
> There are no other DNS's servers involved then just the two we have.
> Like its not a forward lookup result on pfsense or so, we don't do DNS there.
> Just for the record; the samba systems are headless systems.
>
> Any ideas on how to resolve this DNS conflict?

First, 'wins' != 'dns', so forget nmblookup, just use dns tools.

If you have '192.168.99.21' in AD, then something is putting it there
and as only Windows machines do this by default, it is very probably a
Windows machine. It sounds like you know which machine this is, so does
it have two network devices ? If it does, can you remove one ?

Rowland