[Samba] Understanding internal DNS usage on Samba 4

Jonathon Reinhart jonathon.reinhart at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 05:28:43 UTC 2021

I can also refer you to this post from Andrew Bartlett (Samba 4 AD core
dev):

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2020-May/229863.html

The key point is that it is still recommended (as of 2020 May) to set
up a separate DNS server (like BIND or PowerDNS) and then delegate /
forward the AD zone to Samba DCs. This will provide better overall
performance than having your primary DNS server be Samba (INTERNAL or
BIND9_DLZ), for reasons indicated in that post.

Jonathon