[Samba] Windows 10 localsystem account

Lars Sunde laasunde at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 28 13:28:38 UTC 2021

Hello,

Samba 4.3.2 running on Redhat.

When using Windows 7 client (without domain controller)
 - A standard Windows user is able to access samba share.
 - A "NT Authority\System" user is able to access samba share.

When using Windows 10 (Built 18362) client (without domain controller)
 - A standard Windows user is able to access samba share.
 - A "NT Authority\System" user is NOT able to access samba share. The error message is "The specified server cannot perform the requested operation."

The samba server is setup:

[global]
- security = user
- server role = standalone
- map to guest = Bad User (also tried Bad Password)
- log level = 5

[share]
- guest ok = ok
- guest only = ok
- comment = MyShare
- path = /home/foo
- browsable = yes
- writable = yes
- read only = no

We have tried to switch between smb1 and smb2 and smb3 on Windows (using Powershell) without any success. We have also tried to change various policys without any success.

We have investigated the samba log files but have not been able to figure out why the "NT Authority\System" user is not able to acces share. Must admit the it is difficult for a novice to understand the log content-

Authentication is not important in this setup. We want all users to be able to access the share with ability to read and write. What are we doing wrong?

Appreciate any input on the matter.

Kind regards, Lars